Juicy, perfectly seasoned spinach and ricotta filling inside cannelloni pasta tubes, topped
with a simple, tasty tomato sauce and melted cheese. Use dried tubes which are quick
to fill using a piping bag (2.3 minutes!) or you can use fresh lasagna sheets (though they
will end up thicker and larger). Great for freezing once cooked.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 garlic clove , finely chopped
1 small onion , finely chopped
800 g / 28 oz crushed tomato
1 cup water (swirl in tomato can to clean out)
Handful basil leaves , torn, or 1 tsp dried herbs
250 g / 8 oz frozen chopped spinach , thawed
500 g / 1 lb ricotta
1/3 cup grated parmesan
1 cup shredded cheese (Mozzarella, Colby, Cheddar, Tasty, Gruyere, Swiss)
1 large garlic clove , minced
Grated fresh nutmeg (just a sprinkling)
Salt and pepper , to taste
18 – 22 dried cannelloni tubes (or make fresh pasta)
1 – 1 1/2 cups shredded Mozzarella
More basil , for garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 2 – 3 minutes until
translucent. Add tomato and water, stir then turn heat down to medium. Simmer for 5 minutes, then season
to taste with salt and pepper and stir through basil (or use dried herbs). Set aside.
1. Place spinach in a colander and press out most of the liquid (don’t need to thoroughly squeeze dry).
2. Place Spinach in bowl with remaining Filling ingredients. Mix, taste, adjust salt and pepper to taste (different
cheeses have different saltiness).
Assemble & Bake:
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
2. Choose a baking pan which will comfortably fit about 20 cannelloni – mine is 21 x 26 cm / 8.5 x 10.5″ (the
base, edges are sloped outwards).
3. Spread a bit of Sauce on the base.
4. Transfer Filling to a piping bag with a large nozzle (that fits in the tubes), or use a strong ziplock bag. Or do
this step using a knife (it’s a bit tedious though!).
5. Pipe the filling into the tubes. Place in baking dish.
6. Pour over remaining Sauce, covering all the tubes. Cover with foil, then bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove foil, scatter over cheese. Return to oven for 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
8. Serve, garnished with extra basil if desired.