Fried eggs are usually thought of as diner breakfast fare, but they’re a easy way to add protein to all kinds of meals— salads, sandwiches, burgers or in a classic Italian Pizza. There a four basic styles of fried eggs—sunny side up, over easy, over medium and over well—indicating the level of doneness.
- Sunny side up: The egg is fried with the yolk up and is not flipped.
- Over easy: The egg is flipped and the yolk is still runny.
- Over medium: The egg is flipped and the yolk is only slightly runny.
- Over well: The egg is flipped and the yolk is cooked hard.
Once you master this technique at home, you’ll never think of a fried egg the same way again.
TRADITIONAL ITALIAN PIZZA WITH AN EGG
Pizza dough (pre made or bought)
Sliced roma tomatoes
6 ounces mozzarella cheese
Sliced bacon (or ham)
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Roll out the pizza dough and lay across a pizza stone. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.
2. Arrange sliced tomatoes along the base of the pizza. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the bacon/ham on top.
3. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the pizza. Crack an egg and set this, raw, in the center.
4. Bake until lightly charred, the cheese is melted, and the egg white is set, about 12 to 15 minutes.