- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large green or red pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chimichurri sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 teaspoon sauce
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cheese as desired, such as pepper jack, cheddar, muenster, or Swiss (optional)
- 6 to 8 hearty hamburger buns, toasted
- Condiments as desired, such as ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise (optional)
- Toppings as desired, such as shredded lettuce, cabbage,sliced onions, avocado, tomatoes (optional)
TO BAKE THE BEANS: preheat oven to 375°F. Spread black beans in a single layer on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet. Place in oven and roast until beans are mostly split open and outer skins are beginning to get crunchy, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- While beans roast, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion,peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add chimichurri sauce and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- When beans are slightly cooled, transfer to food processor. Add cheese. Pulse until beans are roughly chopped (the largest pieces should be about 1/3 of a full bean in size). Transfer to bowl with onion/pepper mixture. Add egg, and bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Fold together gently but thoroughly with hands. Patty mixture can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days at this stage.
- To cook on the grill: Clean and oil the grilling grate. Form bean mixture into 6 to 8 patties as wide as your burger buns and brush top sides with oil. Place on hot side of grill oiled-side down and cook without moving until first side is well browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Brush tops of burgers with oil. Carefully flip and continue cooking until second side is browned, 3 to 5 minutes longer, topping with cheese if desired.
Spread top and bottom buns with olive oil or other condiments as desired. Add avocado, cabbage and lettuce to top or bottom bun as desired. Place patties on bottom buns, close burgers, and serve immediately.