ALFAJORES are the best cookies you’ve Never heard of?. Alfajores are a sweet sandwich cookie featuring a layer of dulce de leche in the middle of two biscuits and coated with coconut or sprinkled with powdered sugar.
Ingredients: makes about 36 cookies
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature/soft)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dulce de leche (store bought or homemade)
- In a bowl, beat butter for a minute add sugar and beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and egg yolks, one at a time, beating well. Beat in vanilla and lemon rind.
- In a separate bowl, sift together cornstarch, flour and baking powder. Add to mixture and mix well.
- Drop batter by small spoonfuls onto well buttered baking sheet. Try to keep your cookie size uniform as it will make building sandwiches easier.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove immediately.
- Sandwich the cookies together with (dulce de leche) caramel spread.
- Sprinkle coconut or powdered sugar.