If we don’t connect with our food and cook for ourselves, it is highly unlikely that we will get healthy and stay healthy.
Did you know that one of the easiest ways to eat healthfully is to cook at home? And when you cook at home you can typically make better choices about what and how much to eat and drink. It can be a lot of fun and a way to spend time with your family.
Here are five tips to unlock your “kitchen door” and step into fun healthy meals.
- Turn Up the Tunes Atmosphere is everything. Turn on some good music and groove while you cook. I will often sing and dance while I prepare a meal. It makes cooking feel like the celebration it should be — and I typically urge my students to do the same.
- Cook with Company Share the cooking experience with someone you love — whether it’s a friend or family member.
- Let Your Tools do the Work Use a good knife and bamboo cutting board. A sharp knife is faster and safer to use.
- Simplify Your Meals Keep it simple – it takes out the stress of cooking. Nutritious can meet delicious with a basic salad, a baked sweet potato and roasted chicken. Preparation for a meal like this is 20 minutes, max. Cooking time about an hour plus.
- Share the Food and Fun People love photos of food! Sometimes it’s easier to appreciate your food when you see it through the eyes of others. When your friends see the delicious and healthy food you’ve created and cheer you on, it can inspire you to do more. Trust me! So shoot while you cook, and post on social media.