Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 1 large bunch of beets, leaves removed
- 2 cups plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- a sprinkle of cayenne (about 1/4 tsp)
- About 2 1/2 tbsp fresh mint chopped (you could also try other herbs like basil or dill)
- A large splash olive oil (a couple Tbs.)
- 3 small cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- decorate: edible flowers
- Roast beets wrapped in foil in a 400º oven for about an hour and a half. Once cool, cut off the tips and tops, then remove the skin, either by peeling carefully or rubbing the skin off with your fingers (wash your hands quickly afterwards). Slice the beets.
- Combine the yogurt with a sprinkling of salt (about ¼ tsp.), cayenne, black pepper to taste, and the fresh chopped mint (or other herb). Lay the beets out on a serving plate and spoon the yogurt over them. You can also toss the beets with the yogurt, just be aware that the whole thing will wind up a very dramatic shade of pink.
- Over medium heat, sauté the garlic in the olive oil until lightly golden (a couple of minutes). Finally drizzle the flavored oil over the beet mixture (feeling rather artsy about it, if you’re anything like me). Serve cold or at room temp.