Is there anything more Spanish than la tortilla española?
I’m really sure not sure that there is. When made right, a Spanish omelet is the definition of traditional Spanish cuisine: simple to make, clean flavors, and the best ingredients.
Ingredients 1 kilogram (about 2 pounds) of potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
8 large eggs 1 onion
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1. Peel the potatoes and rinse them under cold water.
2. Slice the potatoes into thin slices, about ½ centimeter
3. Pat the potato slices dry and put them into a large bowl, sprinkle with salt, and mix well.
4. Heat a ½ inch of high quality extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan at medium low heat.
5. When the oil is hot, add the potatoes and add more oil if necessary until all are covered.
6. Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes at a low heat (they may break apart, that is okay).
7. While the potatoes are cooking, beat the eggs in a large bowl and season with some salt and pepper.
8. Slice the onion as thin as possible and fry in a separate frying pan for about 10 minutes until they begin to caramelize.
9. When the onions are caramelized, drain off any excess oil and add to the egg mixture.
10. When the potatoes have been frying 20 minutes, remove them with a slotted spoon into a strainer and allow to cool off while any excess oil drips away.
11. After a few minutes, add the potatoes to the egg mixture and stir well.
12. Let the egg mixture sit for about 20 minutes.
13. In the same pan where you fried the potatoes, remove all the oil (you can reuse it!) and over a medium low heat add the egg mixture.
14. Over a low heat, cook the eggs for about 6-8 minutes per side.
15. When you are sure that the bottom is cooked and you want to flip the tortilla, take a large plate and put it over the pan and flip quickly! Some egg will likely slip out- but that’s okay!
16. Finally, slide out of the pan onto a serving plate and let cool a little.
serve warm, cold on its own or with bread.