INGREDIENTS (4 ppl)
1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 lb. pumpkin (any kind but preferably sugar pie)
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 c. heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- In a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until golden.
- Meanwhile, halve, peel, and scrape out seeds of the pumpkin. Cut into chunks.
- Add pumpkin chunks and broth to pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, uncovered, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer until pumpkin is fork-tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and, using an immersion blender, blend mixture until smooth. (Alternatively, let soup cool, then blend in a blender.) Stir in cream and season to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls, add a swirl of cream, and garnish with pepper. You can also add seeds and nuts and sliced bread.