Frittata is nothing more than eggs with vegetables, cheeses or meats cooked into it.
Reasons why you should know how to make a frittata:
–They’re ridiculously fast and easy to make.
–They’re the perfect meal for the end of the week when you’ve run out of food. You could put just about anything in a frittata, (although I’d avoid chocolate chips).
–They’re endlessly versatile. Make them with whole eggs, egg whites, or Egg Beaters; add meats, cheeses or vegetables; and eat ’em for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
–They make great leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. Try some in a sandwich.
–They’re so much fun to say. Come on, you know you want to say it like “fri-taaa-taa”
Here’s how to make a great frittata in 5 easy steps:
1. Saute fillings before adding them to the eggs. This will impart more flavor and ensure that the fillings are thoroughly cooked.
2. Lightly whisk eggs with herbs and seasonings before adding to the pan.
3. Cook frittata in a heavy, flat-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
4. This one is important: Using a fork, gently push the egg mixture from side to side, allowing it to seep to the bottom of the pan. This will ensure that the eggs cook thoroughly.
5. Place the frittata under a broiler to create a puffy, golden brown topping.
- 8 eggs – whisked
- 1 tbsp. of half & half
- 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 red pepper – diced
- 1 sm. onion – diced
- ½ c shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt & Pepper to your preference
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ¼ cup of chopped flat leaf parsley
- ½ cup of chopped cooked asparagus
- ½ cup chopped ham
- ½ cup hot Italian sausage
- Over medium heat in a 12 inch skillet melt the butter and add the pepper and onion to the pan, saute until they start to get soft.
- Add any other ingredient that you would like. This is highly to your preference. Mix it up every time you make this.
- Whisk the eggs well and add the salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, parsley, and half of the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture over the veggies and meats in the skillet and stir with a rubber spatula and cook until it sets on the bottom and starts to on the top.
- You can throw the rest of the mozzarella cheese on the top if you like a lot of cheese. Place the skillet in the oven under the broiler and cook for 3-4 more minutes until it is golden brown.
- Take out of the oven, let it rest for a minute, serve out of the skillet or slide it on a serving dish, cut it like a pie and serve immediately.