Thinly sliced beets (not beef) lay the foundation for this vibrant rendition of the Italian appetizer. Use any assortment of small beets — red, golden, purple, or candy-striped. A local farmers’ market will have the best selection. The beets can be roasted and peeled one day before serving.
- 12 2-inch beets, trimmed
- 1 cup crumbled soft fresh goat cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh Spice Chica Chimichurri
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place beets on sheet (if using both light- and dark-colored beets, place them on separate sheets to prevent discoloration). Sprinkle beets lightly with water. Cover tightly with foil. Bake until beets are tender when pierced with fork, about 40 minutes. Cool on sheet. Peel beets. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Place in resealable plastic bag; chill.)
- Using cheese slicer or knife, slice beets very thinly. Slightly overlap slices on 6 plates, dividing equally. Sprinkle with cheese, then shallot, salt, and pepper. Whisk chicmichurri sauce in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle over beets. Sprinkle with chives.