- 1 cup (130 g) all purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon of flour (plus more for prepping cake pan)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup (4 oz, 113 g, 1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (160 g) sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (optional)
- 2 cups (325 g) blueberries, rinsed and drained (if using frozen blueberries, thaw and drain first)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven and prepare springform pan:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter an 8 or 9-inch springform pan and dust with flour. Or use an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, butter and dust with flour and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- Mix flour with baking powder:
Vigorously whisk together 1 cup of flour with baking powder and set aside.
- Make batter:
Using a mixer, beat the butter on medium high speed for 2 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy, a couple minutes more. Stir in the vanilla extract.
Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well blended. Stir in the orange zest if using.
Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and slowly add the flour mixture, beating until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan.
- Toss berries with flour and lemon juice, spoon over batter:
Combine the berries with the remaining teaspoon of flour and the lemon juice in a bowl. Spoon the berry mixture over the batter.
Bake on middle rack in oven for 45 to 55 minutes at 350°F, or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
Carefully slide a thin knife around the edges of the cake to release it from the pan.
- Dust with powdered sugar to serve:
Transfer the cake to a platter, berry side up. Dust the cake with powdered sugar to serve.