INGREDIENTS (12 pcs)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp.maple syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup spinach raw
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, plus 2 tablespoons
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon,until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on paper towels.
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in the butter, maple, cheese and pepper with a fork, and work just until it starts to form lumps and come together. Add the bacon. Add 1 cup of the cream and work just until it becomes a sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat until it comes together. Form into 2 large circles, about 7 inches in diameter and 3/4 inch thick and cut each into 8 wedges.
- Transfer to baking sheet with a spatula, leaving 1/2 inch space between each wedge. Paint the tops of the wedges lightly with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cream and bake until golden brown, 22 to 23 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the baking sheet.